Portland News

Subway Shooting in Atlanta Leaves One Dead and the Other in the Hospital After Argument About Mayo

An argument over mayonnaise resulted in a shooting in a Subway store in Atlanta that leaves with one dead and another hospitalized
An argument over mayonnaise resulted in a shooting in a Subway store in Atlanta that leaves with one dead and another hospitalized

Subway employee dead after subway shooting in Atlanta

Subway Shooting Atlanta – In a downtown Atlanta Subway branch, an argument ensued between a customer and two employees. The clash resulted in the death of one employee, with the other sent to the hospital.

According to the police, the subway shooting occurred around 6:30 pm. The incident happened at a Subway on Northside Drive Southwest.

The Victims

The victims are two women, 26-year-old Brittany Macon and a 24-year-old Jada Nicole Statum. Macon was pronounced dead, while Jada is in critical condition at the hospital.

According to Macon’s family, she had just started working at Subway three weeks ago. She had previously worked for UPS.

She and Statum lived together with the latter’s 5-year-old son, who witnessed the shooting. Statum was shot twice after pushing her son under the counter to protect him.

The Motive Behind the Subway Shooting

“Believe it or not, it was about too much mayonnaise” said Glenn. “He decided to escalate the situation, and from there – that’s when all hell broke loose.”

Glenn revealed that the manager on duty returned fire but missed the target.

“I don’t know what the world is coming to, especially with our youth,” grieved the Subway owner. “Everybody wants to carry a gun. Everybody wants to scare somebody with a gun. It’s scary out here.”

Subway Shooting Incident

“We had a customer come in that was a little upset with how his sandwich was fixed,” William Glenn explained. It was then that the man started shooting before the manager shot back.

It was reported that the shooter had come in as a customer before, but there had never been any issues.

“Because of what happened tonight, my partners and I are reevaluating whether or not we’re going to continue to do this, in this neighborhood anyways,” said Glenn.

What the Police Had to Say

The suspect, a 36-year-old man, was arrested by the Atlanta police after receiving crucial information from a witness, but they have not released the shooter’s name.

In a press briefing on Monday, Deputy Chief Charles Hampton Jr and the Atlanta Police shared their dismay over another incident of gun violence.

“I want the focus to be on the gun violence,” said Hampton, reasoning that it was the reason he didn’t give the name of the suspect. “More importantly, someone failed to resolve a conflict by just walking away, having a conversation to just reorder a sandwich, decided to take actions into his own hands, and now we have families who are devastated.”

Opinions expressed by Portland News contributors are their own.