Liverpool Releases Official Statement Requesting Formal Investigation on Events Prior to Champions League Final

3 mins read
Liverpool addresses the chaos before Champions League Final and requests investigation

Image Source: Yahoo Sport UK

The Champions League final between Liverpool and Real Madrid was marred by violence, as the stadium erupted into chaos prior to kick-off. The Spanish side emerged victorious for a second time atop the Reds, but while the loss was a heavy one, Liverpool focused on the events that delayed the kickoff with an official statement.

The highly-anticipated rematch was held at the Stade de France in Paris, and while many were excited to see who would come out on top, the kick-off was delayed by 36 minutes. Liverpool fans have been accused of being late to their own game, but many offered an explanation that revealed the truth: there was actually a long queue in front of them leading up until kick off and therefore police arrived with heavy handed tactics.

“We are hugely disappointed at the stadium entry issues and breakdown of the security perimeter that Liverpool fans faced this evening at Stade de France,” wrote Liverpool in an official statement. “This is the greatest match in European football, and supporters should not have to experience the scenes we have witnessed tonight. We have officially requested a formal investigation into the causes of these unacceptable issues.”

French Interior Minister Gérald Darmanin is blaming British supporters for the violence at the Champions League final. He says thousands were without proper tickets on Saturday and forced entry, leading to multiple arrests by stewards who also claim they’ve been assaulted by these people in attendance.

The game against Liverpool was delayed for more than half an hour because of “security reasons”. It turned out that the turnstiles at Anfield were blocked by thousands of fans, some of whom had purchased fake tickets, but no amount can justify tear gas being deployed in such a crowded area and raising fears amongst those present just to watch a soccer match on TV.

The Merseyside Police force deployed in Paris for the soccer match between France and Belgium reported that most fans behaved impeccably, arriving at their venue early and following queuing directions. However, the officers also noted an arrest number of 105 which was made by local law enforcement authorities while they were there working security.

Tom Whitehurst said that he had to get his disabled son safely out of the stadium after they were pepper sprayed once he arrived at the game.

“The treatment of supporters by UEFA and the police was an absolute disgrace,” said Whitehurst. “[Fans] were indiscriminately pepper-sprayed, and there were people with tickets, who arrived two-and-a-half hours early, who were queuing up and they were charged at by police with shields.”

Opinions expressed by Portland News contributors are their own.

Emely Santiago

Hi, I'm Emely. I am a traveler and food vlogger. I am currently working as a media specialist in a media firm and I also love writing and reading.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Three names come to mind after Juwan Howard declines Lakers offer
Previous Story

Juwan Howard Declines Lakers, Opens the Door for Either Darvin Ham, Terry Stotts, or Kenny Atkinson

Darvin Ham finally steps up from assistant coach to coaching the Los Angeles Lakers
Next Story

Darvin Ham Arrives to Take the Helm as the Lakers’ New Head Coach

Latest from Blog